And as we mentioned in this post, we are almost always going to make our own bread from now on! Because its easy, fun, exciting, inexpensive and delicious! These rolls require very little effort, a cold rise overnight and a big appetite once they are golden brown out of the oven!
This recipe makes 32 rolls, I did not bake all that many, instead I froze half the dough for a rainy day
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (you might need a bit more to add towards the end, depending on how sticky your dough turns out)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt together. Add the cooled milk mixture and yeast to the eggs, and combine well to blend in all the ingredients.
3. Now add your dry ingredients: sift in the flour and baking powder in, and mix well. At this point you may feel your dough is too sticky to combine together. If so, add a little more flour so the dough is not sticking to your hands.
Once combined, cover the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
4. Next morning, remove the dough and divide it into quarters (I froze 2 quarters of dough to use another day). On a well floured surface, roll out the quarter to a 1/2 thick disc. Now cut the disc into 8 triangles. Spread the softened butter onto the surface of the dough.
** You can actually stuff these rolls with any number of fillings: Try a Garlic Herb Butter, Cranberry and Goat Cheese spread, or even sauteed onions, green peppers and sausages for a more savory take.
5. Roll each triangle from the larger to the pointy side, and transfer the roll on the baking sheet, with the pointy side down.
6. Once the baking sheet is lined with all your rolls, cover once again with plastic wrap. Now let it rise (it will double in size!) for another 3-4 hours.
7. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top!
Your dinner rolls are ready to be consumed! Make a breakfast sandwich with some scrambled eggs and cheese or enjoy as is with a cup of delicious coffee! Dinner rolls = happiness!