Saturday, February 25, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

This post almost kills me to write. I am anything but a traditional baker, and I am sorry but red velvet cupcakes just don't tickle my fancy. The only word that comes to mind when I hear someone wants this flavor is: BORINGGGG!!!! This, coming from a girl who likes to die a strip of her hair pink in the summer just for the hell of it. It takes all kinds, right?

But hey, these cupcakes are topped with cream cheese frosting and is still a yummy treat. So, when my co-workers asked me to bring some to our pot-luck lunch, I couldn't say no. Shout out to my fellow team members BTW--- I love you all and I did this for you. I think you liked 'em as there were no leftovers come the end of the day. Anyways, here it is. My version of a semi-lighter and yet still delicious red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting.



Yields: 48 mini cupcakes or 24 regular sized-cupcakes
Baking time: 12-15 minutes (mini sized) or until toothpick comes out clean

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp red food coloring
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar

Begin by preheating your oven to 350F and lining your cupcake trays. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg, oil, apple sauce, vinegar, food coloring, buttermilk & vanilla extract. until just combined. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, & salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and whisk together thoroughly until combined. Fill the cupcakes 3/4 of the way. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean, let cool on rack thoroughly before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

Ingredients:

6 tbsp unsalted butter
1 8 oz package cream cheese
3 cups confectioners sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a bowl of your stand mixer or hand held mixer, beat the butter & cream cheese together until light and fluffy. Add the confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time, and add the vanilla extract alternatively. This makes a stiff frosting and is beautiful for decorating with fun piping tips. If you like a loser frosting, add 2-4 tbsp milk to thin it out.

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment