Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Pinwheel Post

OK, I have to admit I'm addicted to Puff Pastry.  To the point that I'm seriously considering starting a Addicted to the Puff Annonymous support group; and if you've ever eaten or cooked with these delicate, flakey, buttery sheets; then I'm sure our weekend meetings will be standing room only!

I always have a pack of frozen Pastry sheets on hand, in my freezer. The possibilities are endless. Sweet or Savory. Appetizer, Entrees or Desserts! Fill them with meat, fruits, cramalized veggies, cheese or whatever your drug is! Need a quick idea for an appetizer for a dinner party? You got it! I made these delicious Pesto Pinwheels as well as Onion Marmalade Pinwheels for my dinner party and let me tell you, they were gone before I could say Holy Pinwheels!

Here's my version of these delicate pastries, I hope it inspires you to get in the kitchen and create your own version! Just don't forget to share your genius combinations with us!

Pistachio Pesto Pinwheels
For the pesto
1 bag of baby spinach leaves
2 bunches of fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup of unsalted Pistachios
3-4 cloves of fresh garlic
1/4 cup grated Parmasean cheese
Between 1/2 to 3/4 cups of Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1 sheet of thawed Puff Pastry sheet
4 tbsp of Flour
1/2 cup grated Parmasean cheese

1. In a food processor, add the spinach leaves, basil, garlic and pistachios and process until well minced.
2. Add salt and pepper and blend again to mix well. *** add less than you think is needed, you can always add more later!
3. While the processor is still running, drizzle the oil oil slowly and watch the pesto turn creamy and smooth.
4. Finally add the cheese and blend again.
Viola! Your Pesto is ready! Be sure to taste for salt and pepper and more if needed.

On a well floured surface, roll out your pastry sheet to an 1/2 inch thickness. Spread the pesto over the entire sheet, even all the corners and edges of the sheet.
Sprinkle with additional cheese and start rolling the sheet to form a cylinder.
Cut the roll in 1/2 inch pinwheels and lay cut side down on a baking sheet.
Bake at 375 degree fir about 25 minutes or until the pastry is brown and crispy.
Let them cool and store in a Tupperware container. You can store these in the fridge and just heat them a little in the oven for a delicious mid-night snack! Although, le me warm you, they may all be gone as soon as they come out of the oven!

My second version of the pinwheels was stuffed with my recipe of ONION MARMALADE, tomatoes, fresh basil leaves and mild cheddar cheese.


FINALLY, because by now I have created a Pinwheel Monster out of myself, I HAD to make a sweet version of these.
Check out the flaky, creamy, BISCOFF AND NUTELLA PINWHEELS! OMG! It's like Crack, seriously.



WHAT!!?? You don't know what Biscoff is!? I don't even know what to say right now, I need another Biscoff Nutella treat to get over this shock!

No comments:

Post a Comment