Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sangria Popsicles. Oh yeah, I went there.

Lately, as summer continues, I've been discovering all sorts of recipes online for various popsicles. Awesome, they all look great- except there's one problem.... I didn't have a popsicle kit! No old sticks laying around or those cute little dixie cups every mom keeps in the bathroom cabinet. And let's face it, why was I going to search for the popsicle kits when you can just buy a popsicle at a local bodega when you feel like it?

Well tonight after my usual pit stop at the gym (that just happens to be located right next to the best Whole Foods in town) I made an effort to pop in to the store for a bottle of water. And what did I find right in the front aisle as I walked in? Ding, ding, you guessed it... a homemade popsicle kit!! For only $13!!!!!! Call me crazy, but the possibilities suddenly seemed endless (maybe it was the fact that I was standing in the best grocery store around with any ingredient I could imagine of using).



Without thinking, I grabbed a box and a bottle of water and ran to the check out aisle. Awesome, sweet, couldn't wait to get home and make something!!! 20 minutes later, I realized.... what the hell, I didn't get any ingredients to make anything!!! Great, way to go.

Upon arriving home, I opened up my freezer to find two bags of frozen berries (something EVERYONE should keep in their freezer, you really can use these in anything! smoothies, defrost and put in cereal, yogurt, etc), then found some oranges in the fridge that were nearing expiration, and a bottle of rose wine (every New Yorker has a bottle of wine in their apt, no matter what's up)..... And yes, before you ask, wine does freeze. Boom, the idea for the frozen Sangria popsicle was born. Sangria is nothing but fruit & alcohol---- freeze it into a popsicle!! I mean, what's better than sangria waiting for you when you get home? Not much, really.

Seriously, buy a popsicle kit. You can add yogurt, milk, fruit, anything that will freeze, test it out! Your fave smoothie can now be waiting for you in the freezer when you get home from the gym for that perfect healthy pick me up! Breakfast in a hurry? Done. I say this again, buy a popsicle kit. I promise you, I will be posting more recipes as my imagination grows... but for now, alcohol will do. It is Friday after all. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 bag 8oz frozen raspberries
1 bottle rose wine (the cheap white zin, you know you like it, don't hide it)
1 cup diet ginger ale
juice of 1 orange
2 tbsp sugar (I have a notorious sweet tooth, if you don't, this step isn't needed)

Blend all ingredients until completely smooth (and strain if you don't like the raspberry seeds), pour into the popsicle molds, freeze for 3-4 hours MIN.... tip: when you want to eat them, run it under hot water for a few seconds, this will help squeeze it out of the mold easily.  Voila! Homemade popsicles!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment