The Tofurkey Sausages adds another dimension of meaty texture and flavor to these delicious Tofu+Turkey Meatballs. Lean, healthy and absolutely flavorful, these meatballs freeze very well so make a large batch so you can dig into a delicous meal after a long day at work!
¼ pound ground turkey breast
1-2 links of Tofurkey Sausage (can be found in Whole Foods or Trader Joes or most other supermarkets. We used Apple Sage Tofurkey)
½ Jalapeno pepper (finely chopped)
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1 tbsp of chopped fresh basil
2 tsps Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat the oven at 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients well and form into equal sized meatballs.
- In an oven proof skillet, heat some olive oil on high flame and arrange the meatballs in the skillet
- You want the meat balls to just brown on each side and not cook through. Once browned, transfer the skillet to a preheated 375 degree oven and bake the meatballs for 15 minutes.
Once the meatballs are just cooked, you will transfer them into the simmering sauce and cook for another 10 minutes.
For the sauce (you can use store bought pasta sauce but homemade is so easy that we had to go with that!)
1 large can Tomato sauce
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
3-4 cloves of fresh Garlic (finely chopped)
½ Green Pepper (finely chopped)
200gms of mushrooms
½ cup of frozen yellow corn
½ cup water
1 tbsp fresh Basil
½ tbsp fresh Oregano
1-2 tsp Red Chili Powder
1-2 tsp Sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large crock pot heat 4-5 tablespoons of Olive Oil. Add the chopped Onions, Green Pepper and Garlic and sauté until slightly brown
- Next add the Mushrooms and Corn and continue to cook for another 7 minutes
- Next add the salt, pepper, sugar, basil, oregano and red chili powder and sauté for 2 more minutes
- Now add the can of Tomato sauce, tomato paste and ½ cup of water and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes
- Finally, add the meatballs from the oven and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, stirring the sauce occasionally
Serve the Meatballs and sauce over some fresh cooked pasta or with as a sub with hearty Olive Bread!